The best recipe for pecans is, of course, pecan pie. Who can resist it? But, anything you buy in a shop or bakery is most like over sweetened (not to mention other non-food ingredients) so in order to sit down and really enjoy one you have to make it yourself.
Below you will find a delicious pecan pie recipe adapted from a few different places. It is:
- refined sugar free
The recipe for the crust is taken from Elanas Pantry The filling is adapted from Bakerita (photo on the left) and lilaruthgrainfree (photo on the right) – I found one to be too nutty (yes, I know – how can that be true?!) and the other way too sweet.
2 cups almond flour/meal
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cup TotallyNuts Pecans
1. Grease a 9in pie dish. Heat oven to 180.
2. Mix the almond flour/meal and coconut oil in a food processor.
3. Add egg and salt and mix well.
4. Press into pie dish and bake for 10-12 minutes. Bake with baking beads if you have (but not entirely necessary). Allow to cool.
1. Heat maple syrup in a small pan until bubbling.
2. Add salt, coconut oil, vanilla and nutmeg and whisk to combine.
3. Add the eggs individually, beating in between each one.
4. Place pecans on the cooled pie shell and pour the filling mixture over the top.
5. Cook at 180 for 30 minutes or until the centre is set (one recipe said 1 hour but mine was done in half that!)
6. Allow to cool and dig in!!