This recipe is adapted from theflavorbender. Using activated cashews saves on preparation time, and also makes for a tastier result. You can use regular curry powder instead of the Sri Lankan one if you want to.
300g activated cashews
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 heaped tsp Sri Lankan curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp coconut sugar
Curry leaves (or use 1-2 bay leaves if curry leaves are unavailable)
1.5 C coconut milk
1 C peas or beans
salt to taste
1. Heat coconut oil and sauté onion until translucent.
2. Add curry leaves and cook until fragrant (a few minutes). If curry leaves are not available use 1-2 bay leaves instead.
3. Add cashews, spices, coconut sugar, slat and coconut and mix well.
4. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes – add water or stock if it needs more liquid. Add more salt to taste.
5. Add vegetables and cook until ready – another 10 minutes or so.
6. Serve with rice or cauliflower rice.